I always hang on to scraps that have an interesting shape, even if I have no idea what I'm going to do with them.
Then, when I'm painting on a project and have a little leftover paint in the pan, I'll pull out some of those scrap parts and throw some paint on them. Sometimes, they get several layers of paint before I get an inspiration. In this case, this old chair back had a layer of green. Then, a little leftover wash from my Chair-y Chair-y Quite Contrary post.
After a little sanding, it actually became the inspiration for a lesson on How To Fix A Bad Sanding Job.
Since I haven't written that post yet, here it is:
The fix is to take a little sandpaper and hand-sand those areas smooth.
You could always go back with more paint if you don't want that much exposed wood. But, since I didn't know what this project would turn into, I decided to leave it as it was and this is what I was left with.
Then, I just finish it with a little Fiddes Supreme Wax in Rugger Brown.
I always thought this chair back reminded me of one of those framed silhouettes and it really needed to be mounted on something and framed.
I found an old frame that was the right size and a piece of old recycled backer board that was "almost the right size"....yeah! an excuse to use the table saw:)
When I ran out of Cam Tack on my last project, I decided to try this 3M product called Super 77 I found on one of my many trips to OSH.
It worked similar to the Cam Tack and was perfect to adhere the vinyl wallpaper to the backer board.
The frame I found had been shuffled around the workshop for awhile so it was pretty banged up.
A little sanding with a medium grit sanding sponge gave the frame a nice even distressing.
It's a quick brush on....
...and wipe off.
Now, it's time for assembly.
This is where clamps come in handy...what did I ever do without them?
Once I get the silhouette centered and clamped, I screw it on from the back side making sure to use a short enough screw that it won't pop through the front.
After taking the broken glass out of so many old windows, I decided glazing points would be a sturdy way to mount backer board for things like chalkboards and bulletin boards so I decide to use them here as well.
After that, I hammer the ends down flat.
I approach this like I do an upholstery project; start with one glazing point in the center of each of the four sides. Then, I add one about an inch or so from each corner. That's enough for the short ends but then I add more to the long sides between the center and the corner. This should hold everything together just fine.
If I were a professional framer, I'd have some nice brown paper to glue to the back to make it look pretty, but I'm not, and I don't, so I'll just use a little masking tape to cover all the things that might scratch a wall.
When I'm making something that's going to hang on the wall and needs to be sturdy, I like to use two D rings. You buy them according to the weight of whatever you're hanging. The small one would probably be fine for this project but I only had one small ring so I'm using two large ones instead.
I usually mount the D rings 4-6 inches from the top of the frame. For a frame this thin, I decide to use only the bottom screw hole so that the D ring can be turned into the frame so that when it's hung on the wall it won't show from the side of the frame.
After they've rusted, be sure to spray several coats of sealer on the hooks since you are going to be hanging your jewelry on them. Although I've never had any problem, if you feel you may have any metal sensitivities, please use your own discretion.
Then, I lined the ruler along my awl marks and made a new mark a half inch to each side of my bottom mark.
The two rows at the top can hold lots of necklaces and I added a row at the bottom that would work well for earrings, rings or bracelets.
And there you have it...ready for jewelry duty!
So, as I was playing with the title Jewelry Duty/Jury Duty, I had a lightbulb moment...the chair back silhouette looked like the scales of justice without the scales. I had just the thing! I've been hanging onto this cut glass dish that I had broken...almost in half. What perfect scale dishes! A couple of eye hooks and some old rusty chain and I think it looks like the scales of justice?!?
Okay, so I had to stop myself....although the dishes would be great for rings and bracelets, I wasn't sure I would be able to attach the bowls to the backer board that was already covered in wallpaper and have it be solid enough to hold any weight. I didn't want to risk messing up my finished project. :(
Overall dimension: 17 1/2" x 21 1/2"
I just checked out Funky Junk Interior's Friday Night Link Party. This weekend it's all about table runners. I linked this Jewelry Duty post under the Home Decor category but hope to think up some clever table runner to add to the Themed Party before time runs out! You should check it out for some great ideas. She has the best blog!....something to aspire to....